Reprinted with permission from Susan Klueppel and Mary Brown, Attorneys at Law
- Do you charge for an initial consultation? If so, how much and will that be credited toward fees if I hire you?
- What percentage of your practice is devoted to family law?
- What experience do you have in cases like mine?
- What, if any, retainer do you charge?
- What is your policy on billing? Do you give a detailed description of when a charge is incurred and for what purpose?
- Will you or another member of your firm be handling my case? Ask to meet with the particular attorney who will be assigned your case.
- IF YOU ARE HIRING AN ATTORNEY TO ACT AS YOUR PARTICIPATING ATTORNEY IN DIVORCE MEDIATION:
- What do you know about the mediation process?
- Have you participated in mediations before?
- Do you charge a retainer or just bill by the hour?
- What is your billing procedure?
- Do you work with an accountant?
IT IS IMPORTANT THAT YOU FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH YOUR LAWYER.
You should feel free to express an opinion, to ask questions, to be regularly informed about your case, to have phone calls promptly returned, to receive regular billings.